let’s talk about recovery…..
We have been so impressed and inspired by people’s commitment to the #IamWellFit Challenge! We are halfway through and already people are well on their way to surpassing their original goals!
With as hard as y’all are working we thought we should take a time out to talk about recovery!
Here are 5 important tips to help with recovery and keep you running with high energy and feeling great!
1. STRETCH. While we always spend a few minutes at the end of classes stretching - it is good to do it on your own too. And we aren’t just talking about laying on the floor doing a couple light stretches; we are talking about really working into the soft tissues that are doing so much hard work for ya! Even more valuable than stretching alone is foam rolling. Have you tried it? The idea behind foam rolling is that is helps break up adhesions in the soft tissues. It also helps release the fascia, if and where it gets stuck to the muscles. Adhesions within the muscular layers, or between muscles and fascia, if left untreated can result in mobility restrictions and thus injuries. Muscles that are restricted also lack hydration and often leads to pulling, discomfort or strains/sprains. Make sure you build some daily QT in to your schedule, roll it out, stretch AND book yourself a massage. Chances are you need it.
2. REST and RELAX. Sleep is crucial, but we will get to that in a moment. First we want to talk about relaxation. Do you have a meditation/relaxation/mindfulness technique? If not, get one STAT. This is a crazy stimulating world we live in, our stress response is constantly triggered and if we aren’t careful we may fall into a constant state of physiological stress response (ie adrenaline, cortisol being release into the system). The results are enough to create a whole other blog post, so let’s just go with this - it’s super bad for you, doesn’t feel good and can negatively affect EVERY system in your body. Conscious nasal breathing can be a great starting place for picking up a mindfulness/relaxation practice. Breathing through your nose stimulates your parasympathetic nervous system and combats the hormones released by the sympathetic nervous system response. BREATHE IN - BREATHE OUT (through your nose) REPEAT, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat…….feel any difference in your body/mind? Ok, now for those ZZZZ’s, It’s no joke people. How many hours are you getting each night, realistically. Chances are you are getting around 6 or less, am I right? NOT ENOUGH. You normally need 7 or 8 and if you are training like an athlete, you may even need closer to 9! Create some space between your lights out time and your technology use….it seriously helps the brain transition into sleep mode (the science is real y’all). Make sure you are giving your self enough hours each night to recharge your body!
3. FEED YOUR BODY. That’s right, fuel it up folks…essential nutrients like potassium and calcium play a crucial role in muscular energy so make sure you are eating plenty of foods rich in nutrients such as these; swiss chard, beans, bananas for potassium and broccoli, kale, oranges and okra for calcium. I also recommend a calcium supplement (Cal/Mag with Vitamin D3 added, taken before bed helps you sleep and helps you poop in the morning - so many birds - one spoonful of white chalky goodness).
4. PROTEIN. We don’t just have protein on the shelf at the studio because it looks pretty. We know how hard you are working and we know what it takes to build a stronger, faster, healthier athlete(YOU!). Supplementing with protein will SERIOUSLY help you recover. If you are coming to class several times a week, doing 2-a-days or even 3-a-days, you seriously need to consider how much protein you are taking in. If you’re not getting enough and you find yourself hitting a wall it’s likely that your body desperately needs more. Protein is muscle food, (that’s why all the meatheads are glugging down brotein shakes at the gym) we see you training hard-your muscles are hungry. Bottom line, protein will drastically enhance your recovery and help you make more gains in your performance!! We sell SFH (stands for stronger, faster, healthier) because it is the cleanest product on the market and it’s just delicious. Come on in and grab a 2lb bag and get 15% off until May 15th!!
5. TAKE A BREAK. Lastly let’s talk about balance. We know you are addicted to you routine at Well.Fit. But every now and again (every 6-8 weeks) your body needs a rest. Take a few (up to 7) consecutive days off and let your body really rest! You can stay active in that time, maybe take a few yoga classes and enjoy some hiking outdoors!