Have New Years Resolutions been working for you? Many people have the same resolutions year in and year out and by spring have all but forgotten about the list and settled back into their usual habits and patterns. One reason so many people have this experience is because changing habits involves re-wiring your brain! The list is easy to write - implementation, however, is the real challenge. It's not impossible, you just need the right tools!
This year try a different approach to making change....
- Shorten Your List/Get Focused : If you can perform triage on your list you will find it easier to manage and keep up with on an ongoing basis. Try narrowing it down to your top 2-3 highest priorities and make specific and realistic goals. Example: improve diet may be a high priority but the goal itself is vague and general. Instead identify the areas that are most hurting your progress or goals with nutrition and create a realistic plan for making incremental changes.
- Surround Yourself with the Right People : Surely somewhere along the line you became familiar with herd mentality. In case you haven't here's a quick sociology lesson for you: Herd mentality describes how people are influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors. This is a two pronged deal folks. Not only do we advise you be more discerning about who you surround yourself with if you truly want to stick to you goals, but you can also use this to be a positive force in other people's lives!! If you feel like you are swimming against the current here check out this quick article on avoiding herd mentality.
- Be in the Moment : Take it one day at a time. Break the goal down into smaller goals. If you are setting a goal with a three month time line take some time to break it down into daily/weekly/monthly actions. Example : If your goal is to adopt a more positive attitude towards life you might break it down like this: daily, decide how you want to feel each day and write your script accordingly. If you want to get things done and feel accomplished your script might be 'I am focused, I am getting shit done'. Each time you find yourself falling into a habitual negative thought pattern stop yourself and default to your script (rewiring the brain!). Weekly, you may adopt a gratitude practice; set aside some time each week to recognize all the things in your life you have to be grateful for and acknowledge those things! Monthly, take inventory of how well you stuck to your daily and weekly actions, see where you might need improvement, set your intention and make a plan for the following month.
- Make Each Day Count : New Years is a great time to start but each day is a new start as well! Make your changes a year long process and make every day count. If you have a bad day, don't give up, start again tomorrow. Take small steps each day toward your goal, even if that action alone seems inconsequential! Success is the sum of small efforts made day in and day out.
- Write a Positive Script : This invaluable tool I picked up from the amazing Sarah Goldman of Action First Coaching. In a nutshell; the subconscious believes whatever you tell it, whether it’s a truth or a lie. If you have a thought pattern that goes a little something like this- My life will never change, I am not capable of (fill in the blank), I can't do (fill in the blank). Well, guess what? Your life will never change, you will not be capable of whatever it is that you want to achieve, and yeah, you CAN'T do it. But guess what?? You have the power to change the dialogue and change the outcome and it starts with changing your script. Decide how you want to feel each day as you are working toward your goals and write your script accordingly. I struggle with believing in my own capacity for success, but I know that if I fall prey to that negative thought pattern I will never succeed. Many days my script is this: I am capable, I am successful. Want to know more about the treasure trove of tools Sarah Goldman can teach you? Join us for SHIFT Jan. 15th at Well.Fit. Sarah will be leading a 60 minute interactive workshop on identifying your super strengths and giving you the tools to use them in the areas you feel week. Followed by a 30 minute Q&A session!
Give up the long list, give up holding out for the New Year to set those big intentions. Start now - stay at it all year long. Make realistic attainable goals and make a plan! Work at it every day!! (And seriously-attend SHIFT if you really want to kick it into high gear!)
Check out the New Year Success Package at Well.Fit if improving your fitness and wellness is a goal!
> 3 months of unlimited classes
> Initial fitness consultation to discuss + devise a plan for your goals, schedule, and nutritional needs. You will walk away with a measured starting point for later comparison, fitness calendar/plan, nutritional support plan, and all the resources you need for success*
> 45 day check in: check progress and make schedule adjustments if necessary
> 90 day check in: check your progress and create your plan for moving forward
> 3 Free Class passes to give to your friends who have never been to the studio before!
Get it here! -->http://bit.ly/2huahGq
*after you have purchased your success package please contact email@example.com to schedule your initial consultation.