Sugar is everywhere. It has been a central theme in my life lately. I am 36 weeks pregnant and the one thing I have craved throughout my entire pregnancy is sugar, so much sugar, all the time! I have tried to manage it and create a happy balance and it seems hopeless. This has led me to have a heightened awareness about the whole sugar issue and has inspired me to bring more awareness on the topic to my clients and readers.
Here are five in your face facts on sugar that should help you put down the doughnut and get some kale in your face :)
1. Refined sugar is 100% void of any and all nutritional value. No protein, no fat, no vitamins or minerals, zip, zilch, nothing'. In fact it all it does is wreak havoc on your hormones and energy levels. Any nobody got time for that!
2. Sugar creates an environment in your body that supports cancer growth. Cancer is scary and very real. While there do not seem to be any hard and fast rules on preventing it, there are some measures we can take to decrease our likelihood of getting it. Sugar contributes to inflammation in the detox organs which can lead to cancer. Sugar consumption also leads to elevated insulin levels which disrupts the bodies ability to properly manage the growth and multiplication of cells.
3. Sugar consumption can cause insulin resistance. Insulin is a crucial hormone in the body and if your cells become resistant to it there can be serious consequences such as metabolic syndrome, obesity, cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes!
4. Sugar messes with your hormones and can make you fat. That's it in a nutshell. I found this great article that really lays it all out there for you and goes on to explain how the type of fat that comes from sugar consumption also messes with the proper functioning of your vital organs. Boom, like dominoes, that leads to all kinds of problems like; increased blood pressure, decrease metabolism, and poor immune function
5. Sugar is highly addictive. Sugar isn't really much of a danger if we are only ingesting a little every now and again. However, sugar is now added to almost everything!!! Even health foods you where you wouldn't expect to find it. As we unknowingly consume more sugar than we should we create a dopamine response in the brain, and before we know it we are probably developing a dependency on the stuff. Enter problem 1-4! There is a great movie out called "Fed Up" that talks about the evils of the food industry adding sugar to everything. I have yet to watch it but the trailer is very intriguing, check it out!
I encourage you to become a sugar detective in your own life. If you are buying processed foods check out those ingredients carefully for added sugars. If you can, avoid processed foods and make meals from whole foods at home! If you have found yourself in a sugar cycle and feel you may be addicted to it, you probably are. You may need to cut down slowly until you have cut it out entirely for a time so your body may regulate and normalize. Check out my blog post from October on sugar detox for some starter ideas. And as always feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!!
Carry On in Health Sweet Ones~